Our dedicated team of professional staff are committed to providing patients with the highest standards of care. Throughout our patients stay, from pre-admission to discharge, each patient will be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.
Pre-admission is an important part of your hospital care. To ensure we can confirm your admission, financial and other arrangements, we ask that you:
Fill in the online admission form, or complete the admission form that you would have received from your doctor up to two weeks in advance or as soon as possible and send it back to the hospital.
Please have the following ready when you fill in your admission form:
- Personal/Next of Kin details
- Medicare Card
- Funding details (e.g. DVA, Private health insurance, work cover or self-funding)
- Benefit details (e.g. pharmacy benefit card or pension card)
- Item numbers if these were quoted by doctors’ rooms
Information your doctor supplied to you re implantable medical devices (eg prosthetic and disposables) – If applicable.
- If you have any concerns with step 1, please telephone 02 8837 9000 between 8.30am to 5.00pm or send an email to email@example.com
If you have private health cover, please contact your health fund prior to check for any excess or waiting periods. We know that health and billing charges can be difficult to understand and we are happy to assist in any way we can, however we also advise that you seek clarification from your doctor and health fund.
You will be contacted by the hospital the day before your surgery, after 3pm, to confirm fasting and arrival times.
Nursing Pre-admission Information
You may be contacted by telephone prior to your day of admission by our Pre-admission Nurse. If you are contacted:
- A brief medial history will be taken and admission and discharge details discussed.
- Please take this opportunity to discuss any concerns regarding your admission
Your doctor will notify the hospital of the date of your procedure / operation and inform you of your day and time of admission. Your doctor will also explain your procedure or operation and complete the consent form with you.
DAY OF ADMISSION INFORMATION
On the day of admission
For all surgeries please go to main reception on the ground floor. You will then be directed to our Day of Surgery Admission Unit for your admission.
With the exception of paediatric patients who may be accompanied by one parent of guardian, relatives and friends will be asked to leave you once admitted to the Day of Surgery Admission Unit. The admitting nurse will inform them of an approximate time for discharge and collection.
Please ensure you arrange for a suitable adult to collect you on discharge and to care for you for 24 hours after your surgery.
On admission to hospital please bring the following:
- It is essential to bring your x-ray and/or test results, as failure to do may jeopardize your surgery.
- doctor’s admission letter
- health fund number / details (if applicable)
- Medicare card
- method for settling your account
- regular medications
- pension health benefits card (if applicable)
- pharmaceutical benefits card (if applicable)
- relevant x-rays and / or test results
- for a child - favourite toy, formula, bottle and any special dietary needs (if applicable)
- night attire
- personal articles i.e. sanitary pads (if applicable)
DO NOT (unless your doctor gives you special instructions):
- IMPORTANT: For safety, the Australia and New Zealand College of Anesthetists (ANZCA) guidelines state that you must have someone to stay with you overnight for at least 24 hors post anesthetic and that you have someone (18+) pick you up from the hospital when you are ready for discharge.
- Do NOT eat or drink anything as advised by the hospital prior
- Do NOT eat or drink anything after 7am for afternoon surgery – (a light breakfast prior to 7am is acceptable i.e. tea and toast)
- Do NOT smoke cigarettes or chew gum at least 12 hours before your operation
- Do NOT wear jewelry (including body piercings). A wedding ring is permitted
- Do NOT shave the operation area
- Do NOT bring valuables, i.e. mobile phone and large amounts of cash
- Do NOT wear make-up or nail polish, especially acrylic as this interferes with monitoring
- Please shower the morning of your surgery with antibacterial body wash
- Wear warm and comfortable clothing. You will be provided with a gown to wear for your procedure.
- Please note Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices are not be to brought in to our hospital due to safety concerns.
Download preadmission document