Rehabilitation is important after surgery, illness, accident or to help manage a health condition. Rehabilitation goals focus on maximising independence with your mobility, personal and domestic care activities.
Rehabilitation helps you return to your favourite leisure pursuits whether it is golf or gardening, returning to work and also driving. Rehabilitation is about living your best life possible!
When choosing a rehabilitation provider you may wish to consider the following:
- Speak to your family and friends about their rehabilitation experiences.
- Consult with your surgeon, specialist or GP prior to your surgery and ask for their recommendation.
- Speak with your case manager, nurses and doctors at North Shore Private Hospital.
- Ask to have a tour of the facility including the accommodation, therapy facilities, meet the staff and to get a “feel” of the environment. You may wish to ask your family or friends to visit on your behalf.
- A rehabilitation provider that is close to home, whilst being convenient for friends and family is not the main reason you should choose a facility.
- Rehabilitation providers offer a multi-disciplinary and holistic approach to your treatment.
- Depending on your needs you may need access to services including medical, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, hydrotherapy, speech therapy, dietetics and psychology
- Do they have social workers and/or discharge planners who are there to ensure your safe discharge home or to another location? They are able to access and organise community resources if you require them.
- Does the rehabilitation provider have inpatient services if you require 24 hour nursing and medical care?
- Do they have a day program? A day program allows you to continue working towards your rehabilitation goals once you have returned home but still under the management of your rehabilitation physician.
- Do they have transport available if you are attending day program therapy and are unable to drive?
- Do they have outpatient exercise or hydrotherapy classes available? Outpatient classes, including exercise or hydrotherapy classes are great for your long term health and wellbeing.
- Your rehabilitation provider will ensure you have the relevant private health insurance cover and will inform you of any gaps or excess you may have prior to your admission.