Prof Little graduated MBBS from the University of Sydney in 1986. He received his FRACS(Orth) in 1995 and undertook further training at the Shriners Hospital for Children in Portland, OR, USA and Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children in Dallas TX, USA.
Prof Little is a clinician-scientist in Orthopaedics. He has raised over $12 million in research funding. Prof Little was selected as the 2002 ABC Travelling Fellow touring the US and Canada with colleagues from UK, NZ and South Africa. In 2005 and 2010 he won the Basic Science Paper Award for the Outstanding Paper at Paediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America. Prof Little has co-convened the Australian Paediatric Orthopaedic Society Instructional Course each year since 2010 and is very active in clinical education. Prof Little is a member of the International Paediatric Orthopaedic Think Tank.
Prof Little has an interest in hip and reconstructive surgery, hip blood flow monitoring and avascular necrosis. He is well known for his research into possible use of biologic agents to assist the treatment of children’s Orthopaedic conditions. Prof Little has over 150 publications in the orthopaedic literature on bone repair as well as clinically related topics in Paediatric Orthopaedics. He remains in active clinical practice, specialising in hip surgery, limb reconstruction and trauma, as well as continuing his research interest as Head of Orthopaedic Research and Biotechnology at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead. A recent focus has been implant design and assessment.
Prof Little was awarded a prestigious National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Practitioner Fellowship in 2013 and again in 2017.
- Paediatric hip conditions: Hip dysplasia (DDH), Perthes disease and slipped epiphysis
- Lower extremity: Leg length discrepency, limb deformity and reconstruction Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Osteonecrosis and bone healing
- Senior Staff Specialist, Department of Orthopaedics, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Head, Orthopaedic Research, The Children’s Hospital at Westmead
- Conjoint Professor in Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Sydney
- Private Practice: Westmead Private Hospital
Postal address: PO Box 89, Westmead NSW 2145